PT | EN | ES

Victory came from the midfield

Herrera and Danilo started and Maxi finished, with a great FC Porto beating Leipzig (3-1)

FC Porto beat Leipzig (3-1) this Wednesday at Estádio do Dragão, for Matchday 4 of Group G of the UEFA Champions League. Herrera (13m), Danilo (61m), and Maxi (90m+3) scored the goals for the Dragons, who are now second in the group, with six points, four behind Besiktas and two ahead of Leipzig.

Pushed by a Estádio do Dragão, dressed up for another European night, FC Porto went in with everything and got an early advantage in the match, but minute 13 ended up being bittersweet. Seconds after Andre André went in to replace Marega, who left feeling pain in a thigh, Herrera took advantage of a lucky rebound in the German area and shot for goal, not giving any chances to Gulácsi, powerless to stop the low shot of the captain.

Leipzig tried to respond to the strong start FC Porto was having, but, in the first 45 minutes, they faced group that remained compact, counting on a defence that allowed for few, if any, chances to the German team. It should be said that Leipzig's best chance came from a free-kick taken by Forsberg, but Jose Sá responded in style and prevented the Swedish international star from tying the match. The goal Herrera scored made the difference at halftime.

The second-half pretty much started with the tie for Leipzig, scored by Timo Werner, who didn’t hesitate in front of José Sá (48m). Shortly afterwards, in the German area, Ovidiu Hategan decided that Orban didn’t intercept André André's shot with his arm, but truth is that the play is questionable (56m). The match started to break gradually and spaces began increasing, but the scoreboard only moved again from a set piece.

Danilo had already threatened to head the ball in on minute 60, after a corner-kick taken by Alex Telles, but, on the second attempt, the duo made it work. The free-kick taken by the Brazilian fullback found the Portuguese midfielder in the heart of the area and Danilo headed at the back of the net, giving FC Porto the advantage again, on his 100th match with the blue and white jersey (61m). From there, Leipzig kept looking for a new tie, but found the usual defensive cohesion of the Dragons, who sentenced the match in stoppage time.

Aboubakar did well between three opponents and passed for Maxi to score. The Uruguayan fullback, sent in during the match by Sérgio Conceição, didn’t hesitate in front of Gulácsi and set the final 3-1, a score that is well in line with the great team performance of the blue and whites (90m+3). The quality of the game and the soul of this FC Porto are truly contagious.

See match report
Related News

Sérgio Oliveira: “This is our spirit, the spirit of champions”

Sérgio Oliveira could talk of the three goals scored in the second-half of the victory over Estoril (3-1), achieved…

More Info

45 minutes to turn Estoril around

Thirty-seven days after the match between Estoril and FC Porto was interrupted, which wasn’t resumed after the break for…

More Info

​​Corona: “The team always works to win”

After receiving the MVP award for the match against Rio Ave, for matchday 23 of Liga NOS, which the Dragons won 5-0,…

More Info