PT | EN | ES

A step forward in the victory over Vitória

FC Porto won the Trophy Cidade de Guimarães after beating Vitória de Guimarães 2-0

This Sunday night, FC Porto won the Trophy Cidade de Guimarães, after beating Vitória de Guimarães 2-0. At the Estádio D. Afonso Henriques, the blue and white goals were scored by Aboubakar (21m) and Soares (26m), in the third friendly match of the pre-season, the first in Portuguese soil. Another step taken in the preparation for the 2017/18 season.

As had already happened in both matches played in Mexico, the Dragons again showed good signs, especially in the first 45 minutes, played without substitutions, with the blue and whites dominating the match completely.

In comparison to the last match in Mexico, Sérgio Conceição changed only two players in the starting team: André André was replaced by Danilo and Corona took the spot left by Hêrnani. And it was an already well-prepared FC Porto that played this Sunday night: a team quick to react when losing the ball, and, above all, when recovering it, always with great objectivity when they had it. Other characteristic that was obvious again was how fast the team reached the moments of shooting for goal, insisting on quick passes as a way of progression through the central zone, alternating with a more direct style of play whenever possible.

In one of those combinations, on minute three, Otávio (with Aboubakar) had the first opportunity worthy of mentioning, and he would again come close to scoring minutes later, getting to a cross from Soares. The Dragons were playing well within the midfield of the home team, and, after Soares hit the post, it was only natural to see them opening the scoreboard. Aboubakar, taking advantage of an error of the opposing defence, went alone in front of goalkeeper Douglas, dribbled him and pushed the ball in for the 1-0 (21m); five minutes later, after a long pass from Marcano, Soares to gained the front and made use of his right foot to put the ball past the goalkeeper (2-0, 26m).

Winning by two, the Dragons lowered the pace, but they continued to dominate and played near the opposing area, something that was not seen so often in the second-half. The first highlight of the second-half, with João Pinheiro replacing Jorge Sousa as the main referee, was the sending-off of André André (51m), after a foul on Hurtado, which earned him the straight red card.

Although down to 10 men, the Dragons didn’t lose their balance and it took Guimarães about an hour to create the first danger situation; by then, the blue and white goal was already under the guard of Jose Sá: Felipe was there, showing his agility to save the eminent goal of the home team (61m). What followed was the usual feast with substitutions on both sides, which, as usually happens in pre-season matches, ended up breaking the pace of a match that ended with an undisputed victory for the Dragons.

FC Porto will now be doing a tour in Algarve, during which they have another friendly scheduled, this time against Portimonense. The fourth pre-season match will be played at Estádio do Algarve, next Thursday at 20h30.

See match report