FCP logo

​Dragons defeated at home, 3-1, by Besiktas, despite dominating most of the match​ FC Porto had a bad start in the 2017/18 Champions League, losing 3-1 at home to Besiktas. The Turkish team was fortunate enough to score first (13 minutes in, by Talisca) and to recover the advantage just seven minutes after FC Porto was able to tie, thanks to Tosic's own goal (21m). From there, the opponent managed the match, especially in the second half, and ended up settling it on minute 86, with Babel scoring. The Dragons conceded the first defeat of the season, despite the support of the audience - the attendance of 42,429 people was the fourth best in group stage matches at Estádio do Dragão -, as the fans made a point of applauding the team after the final whistle. The first-half was a rollercoaster. Besiktas started well and, just when FC Porto – missing Aboubakar and Maxi, banned, and with Ricardo and Soares in the starting team – seemed to control the match, Besiktas scored. Quaresma placed the ball perfectly in Talisca's head (where have we seen this before?), who headed it in with a bang, 13 minutes in. It took a few minutes for FC Porto to react and get back on top: 19 minutes in, Óliver hit the post defended by Fabri. The blue and whites moved to their best period in the match and pushed the opponent back to their area. After two consecutive corner-kicks, Tosic, under the pressure of Marega, headed the ball to his own goal, tying the match. The home team was thrilled, but once again, the worst happened: 28 minutes in, powerful forward Cenk Tosun shot from distance and beat Iker Casillas, who tonight became the player with the most matches played in European competitions, 174, surpassing Xavi Hernández. 33 minutes in, Soares came close to imitating Tosun and making it 2-2, but the truth is that Besiktas was extremely effective when they reached the opposing area and, at halftime, they had more shots (nine against seven for FC Porto). Sérgio Conceição tried to shake the team early in the second-half and sent in André André and Otávio to replace Óliver and Corona. Marega moved to the right of the attack and Otávio played in the central zone, behind Soares. After a very open first-half, Besiktas was cautious for the second, and truth is that the first real threat came only on minute 61, with Soares, receiving the pass from Brahimi, shooting straight at Fabri. On minute 64, Ozyakup prevented Marcano from heading it in following a corner, saving the goal on the touchline. Besiktas was not disturbed by the pressure, remained calm, and continued to defend until the final whistle, not hesitating to waste time on fouls and to only attack when it was safe. And that’s exactly how, 86 minutes in, Babel put an end to the fight for the match, finishing a well-designed play – former Dragon Ricardo Quaresma had already been replaced by then, under a round of applause, and Hernâni had already replaced Danilo, in a last glimpse of blue and white risk. It was the first defeat of the Dragons against a Turkish opponent in official matches. On the next matchday, on September 26, there is a trip to Monaco.

    FC Porto Portal uses cookies in different ways. Know more here .
    By continuing to browse the site you are consenting to its use.