FCP logo

FC Porto was behind against Vitória de Guimarães, but won, 2-1, and will be facing Sporting de Braga in the final of the League Cup

FC Porto qualified to the final of the League Cup after beating Vitória de Guimarães this Wednesday (2-1), at Estádio Municipal de Braga, in the semi-finals of the Final Four of the competition. Alex Telles (66m) and Soares (75m) scored the two goals in the victory of the Dragons, who will now be facing Sporting de Braga in the decisive match, scheduled for Saturday (19h45, Sport TV).

The first-half had both teams matching each other well, which didn’t allow for many goal situations. But, it should be said, FC Porto was the team closest to scoring in the first 45 minutes, with Douglas taking the spotlight. The goalkeeper was especially inspired in the first-half, preventing the Dragons from scoring on several occasions.

Marega was the first one to aim for goal, from a difficult position, and, shortly after, Matheus Uribe was just centimetres away from scoring a great goal from outside the area (20m). Again in front of Douglas, Marega took a lost ball, won thanks to Luis Díaz, and shot for another good save for the goalkeeper (33m). Close to the break, Douglas stopped Mbemba’s attempt, in a free-kick taken by Alex Telles (42m).

In the first minute of stoppage time, Davidson, in the area, shot over the top bar in the best opportunity for Vitória de Guimarães in the first-half. Guimarães moved ahead on the scoreboard from penalty, but the foul suffered by Leo Bonatini is questionable and Jorge Sousa should have checked it. The VAR validated the decision of the referee and Tapsoba made it count (65m).

The feeling of unfairness gave way to a fantastic turnaround. On the following minute, Alex Telles aimed for goal and scored, in a great low shot, impossible to save (66m). With the tie reached, FC Porto would get to the lead with the usual suspect: Tiquinho Soares. Otávio passed to Corona, the Mexican was stronger than the opponent and passed to the Brazilian striker, who made it count for the ninth consecutive match (75m).

Vitória de Guimarães tried to react and almost tied, thanks to Davidson, but Diogo Costa held on to the blue and white advantage (86m). Giving five minutes of stoppage time, Jorge Sousa and the VAR overlooked a red card to Pepê, who kicked Luis Díaz two close to the corner flag (90m+2). On the following minute, Mbemba stopped two consecutive attacks, in the area, both done superbly (90m+3).

In the last play of the match, João Pedro made it 2-2 for Vitória de Guimarães, but with a foul on Diogo Costa before getting the ball (90m+5). This time, the VAR did his job and warned Jorge Sousa to the foul, as the striker kicked the blue and white goalkeeper’s hands. The referee rightfully checked the footage and disallowed the goal, giving fairness to the result. The final of the League Cup is a fair reward for FC Porto, clearly the best team in the semi-final.

    FC Porto Portal uses cookies in different ways. Know more here .
    By continuing to browse the site you are consenting to its use.