FCP logo

Goals scored by Zé Luís and Luis Díaz awoke the Dragon, but the efficiency shown by Krasnodar made the difference

This Tuesday, FC Porto lost to Krasnodar (3-2), at the Estádio do Dragão, for the second leg of the third elimination round of the Champions League. The Dragons reacted in the second-half, but it wasn’t enough to compensate for the bad first-half.

Trying to bring new breathe to the team, Sérgio Conceição made five changes to the starting team in comparison to the one that played in Barcelos: Saravia in the defence, Danilo in the midfield, and Nakajima, Luis Díaz and Marega upfront.

In need of tying the round, the Russian team got their first goal early in the match. From a corner-kick, the ball ended up going to Tony Vilhena (3m), who, near the far post, opened the scoreboard.

Despite the bad start, FC Porto had more ball possession and tried to attack the most, but Krasnodar made use of their efficiency. After Pepe missed two headers (7m and 10m), Shapi Suleymanov appeared alone on the right. Cynical, the winger put Krasnodar in the lead of the round. After that, the Dragons set up a siege to the opposing goal, with the Russian team trying to break it, but the finishing was off. Until the break, another goal for Krasnodar and Shapi Suleymanov (34m), for his second in the match.

Sérgio Conceição sent in Zé Luís still in the first-half (38m), Uribe debuted in the blue and white midfield, replacing the injured Sérgio Oliveira (49m), and the pace of the match changed. Alex Telles found Zé Luís in the area (57m), for the first of the Dragons.

Estádio do Dragão awoke and so did the peace of mind of the team. Confident, the blue and whites started improving and increasing the pressure over the opposing goal. Marega tried to score on the next minute, but the celebration only came 76 minutes in. Corona cut inside and found Luis Díaz just outside the area, ready to shoot for goal. Tie in the round, but the opponent had the goal advantage.

Until the end, FC Porto continued to push for another goal, but the result was unchanged. Unfairly, it should be said, given what the Dragons did in the last 45 minutes. FC Porto will now move to the group stage of Europa League.

    FC Porto Portal uses cookies in different ways. Know more here .
    By continuing to browse the site you are consenting to its use.