FCP logo

FC Porto-Benfica, for matchday 14, ended in a 1-1 tie

FC Porto and Benfica tied 1-1 in the classic of matchday 14 of the championship, at Estádio do Dragão. Grimaldo scored for the team from Lisbon (17m) and Marega (25m) scored the goal for the national champions, who remain in the second position in the table, with 32 points, four behind the leader Sporting, who tied at home against Rio Ave (1-1) this week.

Showing authority from the start, FC Porto needed only three minutes to create the first dangerous situation in the classic: Sérgio Oliveira took the free-kick, Pepe headed back and left Mbemba in good position to aim at Vlachodimos’ goal, but the blue and white central defender missed the shot twice. Shortly after, Matheus Uribe forced Benfica’s goalkeeper to a good save in a shot from outside the area (7m), but the opponent’s response was swift and Seferovic didn’t miss the target by much following a counter-attack led by Darwin (8m). Benfica ended up being the one opening the scoreboard on a freezing night at Estádio do Dragão: Nuno Tavares crossed for Seferovic, who passed to Grimaldo, with the fullback beating Marchesín (17m).

The disadvantage didn’t shake FC Porto and the tie didn’t take long: Tecatito Corona put on a show in the area and offered the goal to Mehdi Taremi, not giving any chances to Vlachodimos (25m). The seventh goal of the Iranian international star in the championship gave some justice to the result, but Darwin was centimetres away from offering Benfica a new advantage, as he hit the post (29m). In the few times they made it to the area during the first-half, Benfica posed danger, but Luis Díaz also had a great opportunity to make it 2-1 before the break. The Colombian winger won a ball inside the area and was in a privileged position to score, but shot just outside the post (36m).

In the second-half, there was more battling than playing, but the first noteworthy play was the one that should have ended with a second yellow card to Pizzi for a tackle from behind on Tecatito Corona (58m). Goal opportunities were rare in either end, but Marega forced Vlachodimos to a good save following a free-kick taken by Sérgio Oliveira (70m). Shortly after, Mehdi Taremi was sent-off with a red card after a foul on Otamendi and left FC Porto outnumber, but the national champions had the best opportunity until the final whistle: Nanu crossed wide and Luis Díaz won the ball on the far post, but Marega missed the shot in the small area (76m). Vertonghen (80m) and Everton (86m) also aimed for goal, but the classic ended with one point for each side.

    FC Porto Portal uses cookies in different ways. Know more here .
    By continuing to browse the site you are consenting to its use.