FCP logo

FC Porto beat Vitória de Guimarães (2-1) and remains in the lead of the championship

The task was not easy, as Sérgio Conceição had said in the preview of the match, but FC Porto did what the coach demanded and beat Vitória de Guimarães, 2-1, after a European matchday that served as a warning: the lack of efficiency can cost matches. Despite having wasted countless chances to win by more goals, the Dragons got three more points and remain in the lead of the championship, which was taken on condition by a rival that won the most absurd match in a long history of uncommon situations in Portuguese football.

Without Pepe, who returned from England injured, Fabio Cardoso was the only new face in comparison to the match in Anfield. What wasn’t new was seeing Otávio scoring, a relation of ups and downs that didn’t materialize in the first minute of the match because the Portuguese international was not quick enough to shoot. Luis Díaz had the same problem: in a moment of great intensity from both sides, Mehdi Taremi passed to the Colombian winger, who had everything to open the scoreboard, including an open goal, but he missed the target. The match remained well played, and, after a good save from Diogo Costa, Sérgio Oliveira responded with a direct free-kick - barely missing the target - before Rochinha warned to what was coming. With space to do what he knows best, Edwards worked well on the right wing and was only stopped for a foul by Zaidu. Luís Godinho, in the right position, immediately signalled the free-kick, but Artur Soares Dias was just as quick to reverse the decision of the referee to a penalty, with the English forward not hesitating from the penalty spot. But, in the following attack, Luis Díaz showed once again why he is considered by experts to be the best player in the championship. In a typical move, the number 7 tied the match superbly, with a guided missile that went in the far top corner, much to the delight of Estádio do Dragão. In stoppage time, Taremi made it 2-1 in a confusing move, but the VAR intervened again and disallowed the goal for FC Porto, for an alleged offside of nine centimetres.

Having been shown a yellow card right at the start of the first-half, Sérgio Oliveira didn’t return for the second and was replaced by Vítor Ferreira. In the second-half, Díaz offered Evanilson the opportunity to score the second goal, but the Brazilian missed it. Right after that, it was the other way around, with the Brazilian passing to the Colombian, but the shot was weak and Bruno Varela grabbed it. When Mehdi Taremi was tackled by Mumin, the opponent was booked with a second yellow card for the foul. In charge of taking the free-kick, Vitinha shot, unsuccessfully, at the goalkeeper’s side. At the end of the match, Matheus Uribe recovered the ball, passed it to Díaz on the left wing and the winger found Otávio, who only had to push it to Evanilson for the 2-1, his third goal in the League. In the last quarter of the match, Taremi wasted the best situation he had to score and, on the rebound, Zaidu’s shot went wide, with the fullback being replaced by Wendell right after the attempt. With Tecatito Corona and Manafá replacing Otávio and João Mário, the number 9 for the Dragons offered another goal. Corona was the shooter but hit the goalkeeper. The same would happen to Manafá, one minute later, much to the despair of the blue and white fans. The audience still applauded Fábio Vieira going in for the last moments of a victory that could have had different numbers.

    FC Porto Portal uses cookies in different ways. Know more here .
    By continuing to browse the site you are consenting to its use.