FCP logo

FC Porto beat SC Braga 1-0, confirmed the third place in the championship and the qualification to the Europa League

The qualification to Europe was reached by the Dragon. In the last matchday of the championship, FC Porto went to Braga and dominated for 90 minutes, winning 1-0. With this result, the blue and whites end the 2023/24 edition of the League in the third position, with 72 points, and guaranteed the qualification to the Europa League. Galeno scored the only goal of the match and the team will now focus on Jamor and the final of the Portuguese Cup, scheduled for 17h15, next Sunday, against Sporting.

With Vítor Bruno acting as coach on the bench due to Sérgio Conceição being banned after his fifth yellow in the League, against Boavista, and sending in the same team that played the Porto Derby, FC Porto started dominant in Braga and attacking predominantly from the left. Six minutes in, after a combination with Pepê, Evanilson put Matheus' reflexes to the test.

In four minutes, Victor Gómez saw two yellow cards, was sent off (12m) and the opponent lowered their defence, opening less space in the back. The Dragons, the only ones looking for goal, were trying to find room to move behind the home defence with few passes, a lot of verticality and with Nico González breaking lines and entering the area to confuse the opponents' markings. Alan Varela and Galeno aimed for goal in the last five minutes of the first half, but both shots went out and the tie remained for the break.

For the second half, FC Porto returned with João Mário instead of Martim Fernandes and became overwhelming in the attack. 46 minutes in, Wendell crossed from the left and Evanilson headed outside; 50 minutes, Otávio hit the post, after the ball deflect on João Moutinho; and 52 minutes in the fans saw three opportunities being missed: Pepê received a long ball and shot for goalkeeper Matheus to save it, the ball went to Francisco Conceição who, in the area, shot straight at the goalkeeper, and, in the next play, Galeno tried to place the ball on the far post, but the goalkeeper flew to save it into a corner.

With the opponent constantly under pressure, the only thing missing was the goal. 71 minutes in, after a play on the right, João Mário crossed to the edge of the area, where Nico González shot with power, but straight at Matheus.

The Spanish midfielder was then replaced, as was Francisco Conceição, giving way to Eustáquio and Mehdi Taremi, both becoming the protagonists in the play that led to the only goal of the evening (1-0). Eustáquio won the duel with Moutinho in the midfield, 84 minutes, passing the ball to the Iranian forward, who, close to the area, dribbled Niakaté and broke the home defence with a superb pass to Galeno. The Brazilian winger just had to beat Matheus and celebrate.

Losing, the home team pushed forward, but Diogo Costa, attentive as always, gave them nothing. Marko Grujić and Gonçalo Borges were called to replace Evanilson and Pepê, FC Porto gained defensive solidity and speed for counter-attacks, but spent the last minutes holding the ball until the final whistle, confirming the blue and white victory.

    FC Porto Portal uses cookies in different ways. Know more here .
    By continuing to browse the site you are consenting to its use.